Monday, March 06, 2006


KL International Marathon 2006

It is 5th March 2006, and I woke up at 3am in the morning just to take part in my 2nd attempts of my first marathon. I had a very bad sleep last night as it was warm in my room plus the feeling of nervous as well. I had a powerbar plus a packet of ORS(Oral Rehidrated Salts) just to make sure that I wont repeat the same failure during my first attempt in Singapore Marathon 2005. I reached Dataran Merdeka at 4.15am and saw had myself warm up by doing some strecthings. I saw Chris, KK's friend who was also doing her first marathon and has a target time of sub 5H. I was look down by friends from Chin Woo as I'll be lost to her by looking at the pace I normally run.
Sharp at 5pm, we started of feet pounding on the starting line. Ah B, my pacer waited me after the starting to encourage me to pace meself. He did a good job as I crossed the first 10km in 58min and still feeling good. Thing started to changed after 15km where I lost my rythm and feel weak on my legs. I manage to keep my normal pace but Chris overtook me at abt 20km. I was so dissapointed as once again I failed again by others look down.
I started to walk after 27km and surprisingly I found that my walking was faster than my running. Moreover, I won't any chances of getting cramp by walking. I continue to walk at a fast pace and managed to overtook so runners. At 34km, I met Steven from Britain who was running for his 2nf marathon. He felt so angry about himself as his thigh is getting tighter and tighter. I was chatting with him and know that he did finish his first marathon in Singapore with a time of 5H30M. He asked me whether at that moment we can finish this marathon in 5H30M as I was looking at my watch which show 4H30M. I told him that we will make it and convince him walk faster. We started to walk faster but his cramps get exaggerated. He hardly walk on his feet. He told me not to wait for him and for me, I can just wish him good luck la.
By walking constantly, I reached the last 1km in 5H30M. During the last water station, I can feel my old enemy was here again(legs cramp). I know I must not let it get me down again this round. I hold the pain and try to run at a lower pace. I struggle thru the final km in 12minute!! During the last corner, I saw Ah Sui who did Ironman Langkawi last week cheering for me, I'm so glad I still have friend like him. He encourage me to run slowly by pacing me. At the entry of the finishing line, friends from Permaisury Group like Ah Phoon and Kenny did cheers for me. How lucky I am as I still have friends to cheers for me during my struggling moment.
I crossed the finishing line at 5H42M and this is my First Marathon Finish!!
Even though the timing was slow, I was glad that my legs still hold as I managed to fight back my old enemy and sustained the pain to cross the finishing line. I promised to myself not to take part in any marathon if I would not improve in my half-marathon running time to sub 1H50M.
Of course, I'll train toward it. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home